Sunday, December 21, 2008
The Baby Industrial Complex
I've coined a new term for Babies R Us in my own head: "the baby industrial complex". Because, well, it seems very consumer-oriented to me, and maybe worth of a conspiracy theory or two. We just bought a changing table from The Complex, however, so I guess that I am guilty of supporting them ... All of this makes me wonder: When it comes to mass-produced baby gear, are there any local, independent stores that sell this kind of stuff? I know that there are many boutiques that carry baby stuff, and over the months, we have bought stuff from some of these places. But when it comes right down to it, when you need everyday baby gear, Babies R Us seems like the most convenient option. As we do more shopping and talk to more people with kids about where they shop, however, I am sure that we will find a few alternatives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment